Proposals Now Accepted for the Frederick P. Slanina Foundation Fund
We are pleased to announce that proposals are now being accepted for the Frederick P. Slanina Foundation Fund. Currently, there is approximately $12,000 in the fund.
The deadline submission is December 15, 2023.
In 1996, the former Lorain County Board of Mental Health (LCBMH) and the Mental Health Network agencies identified the need to support staff development within the Network. Ten agency Executive Directors presented a signed request to the LCBMH. This request put into motion the Frederick P. Slanina Foundation Fund, named after the LCBMH’s Executive Director who was retiring after 20 years of service with the Board and a total of 30 years in the mental health field. At their February 20, 1997 meeting, the Board of Directors of the LCBMH adopted a resolution to officially establish the fund.
Listed below are the fund’s priorities as determined in 1998, and attached are guidelines for individual applicants and for joint workshops.
- Scholarships to assist Network staff in obtaining undergraduate or graduate education required for certification.
- A grant to support a joint workshop for professional development in Lorain County.
SLANINA FOUNDATION FUND
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR INDIVIDUALS
- Scholarships will be granted for use during the 2023/2024 academic years.
- Scholarships must be for courses at an accredited institution and can be for an undergraduate or graduate degree.
- The individual must be an employee of a contract agency of the Mental Health, Addiction and Recovery Services Board of Lorain County during the entire fiscal year for which the money is awarded.
- The individual must have successfully completed a semester or quarter to be able to receive scholarship funds.
- Individual requests must come through the Director of the Agency of employment with a recommendation from the direct supervisor.
- Scholarship funds will be disbursed to the agency or educational institution, not the individual.
Please provide the following information:
- Name, Address, Phone, Position, Employing Agency.
- Amount and purpose of the grant, and a simple budget.
- Name of educational institution, length of time anticipated to complete a degree, and degree sought.
- Rationale regarding how the grant will help the individual’s professional development, and how it will help the agency.
- Length of service and professional goals.
- Commitment to provide service in the Mental Health Network throughout the fiscal year.
- Agency Director’s review and letter of recommendation.
- Date when the grant is needed.
- Please indicate if you have applied for or are receiving funding from other sources, i.e., grants, loans, and/or scholarships.
- A recent copy of your student transcripts.
Regarding distribution of funds, preference will first be given to courses leading to a degree from an accredited college or university, or for licensure, then consideration will be given to alternate methods or creative learning opportunities.
Please return requests and required documents by December 15, 2023 to:
Mental Health, Addiction and Recovery Services Board of Lorain County
ATTN: Patrice McKinney
1173 North Ridge Road East, Suite 101
Lorain, OH 44055