What is it?
Lorain County has nearly 26,000 individuals between the ages of 18-25 year olds. YAADA provides prevention information and education to this population.
Past surveys and focus groups regarding alcohol consumption for 18-25 year olds indicate:
- 40% of Lorain County young adults ages 18-25 strongly approve or somewhat approve of alcohol consumption nearly every day
- 85% of Lorain County young adults ages 18-25 report having tried a drink of alcohol before the age of 18.
- 78.4% of Lorain County young adults ages 18-25 report they believe individuals risk harming themselves physically when they have had five or more drinks of an alcoholic beverage once or twice a week
- Lorain County young adults ages 18-25 have a permissive attitude towards the high risk use of
alcohol in public and private settings.
- 42% of young adults age 18-25 feel that it is acceptable for 18-20 year olds to drink alcohol.
- 55% of Lorain County young adults ages 18-25 report having often witnessed public intoxication.
- The community believes alcohol is synonymous with entertainment and has an expectation of alcohol at every event.
Sources: Lorain County YAADA Survey, 2012; Lorain County Community Assessment, 2012; Focus Groups, 2012
How do I take action?
Contact Deborah Kelley at 440-282-9920 to get involved.