Free Overdose Lifeline Trainings Available
Overdose Lifeline training courses are offered for free in Lorain County. These courses are aimed at educating and training the public on addiction, the opioid crisis, combating stigma, harm reduction and more. They are also available for youth and adults. Upon completion of courses, a certificate will be sent to participants, which is valid for three years.
What Courses are Offered?
- The Opioid Public Health Crisis: understanding foundational knowledge of the nationwide opioid public health crisis, solutions and action to take to to reduce the epidemic’s effects, understanding the potential misuse of opioids, risk factors, and suggested prevention and reduction methods.
- Guide to Harm Reduction: convey a working understanding of harm reduction, understanding of harm reduction principles and services, and what it means to practice harm reduction.
- The Brain and the Disease of Addiction: how the brain is affected by substances and how the disease of addiction develops.
- Medication Assisted Treatment: understanding the role of Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) in treating Opioid Use Disorder and understanding MAT as a part of comprehensive medication-assisted recovery.
- Removing the Shame and Stigma of Substance Use Disorder: learn about the consequences of shame and stigma associated with addiction, review reasons addiction is stigmatized, explore solutions to address shame and stigma, identify the shame and stigma, and recognize negative beliefs associated with a person, issue or circumstance often based on assumptions rather than facts.
Why Get Trained?
Accidental overdoses led to 140 fatalities last year in Lorain County. These trainings offer a way to learn about the epidemic and ways to help others struggling with substance use disorder. Addiction is a medical disease that can affect anyone, and it is important for all of us to learn more about it and to remove the stigma surrounding it.
How To Get Started
Contact Jinx Mastney at (440) 434-5711 or JMastney@mharslc.org to request a training for your faith community, school, workplace, civic organization or other group.
Learn more about Overdose Lifeline Training Courses and how to connect HERE.